This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc., Abreva, Emergen-C, Lipton, Robitussin and Theraflu. All opinions are mine alone. #SickDayTips #CollectiveBias
Question: If you haven’t been covered in snot by a toddler, and had boogers wiped on you by a 5 year old – are you even a mom?
Truth is, we’ve all experienced cold and flu season, and yet, are we ever really prepared to get sick? I mean, it’s not like it’s a big mystery – cold and flu season hits the same time, give or take a few weeks every single year, and yet somehow we’re always caught off guard. Well not this year mamas! I’m sharing the steps I take to get my family feeling better, and includes a trip to Kroger – which is a destination for all of my flu needs. I’ve also rounded up my top movie picks for those dreaded sick days, along with a few tried & true activities for the kiddos to get you some much needed R&R ?
Kroger Cold & Flu Season Essentials:
Abreva® Pump Cold Sore and Fever Blister Treatment
- The only FDA approved OTC medicine to shorten healing time.
- Abreva is not for temporary symptom relief, but healing. It delivers the best results when used at the first sign of a cold sore (e.g. the tingle that one feels on his/her lip).
Lipton Bedtime Bliss Tea
- *The Lipton Wellness range, made with carefully selected botanicals and blended with essential oils, helps make wellbeing a part of your everyday routine.
- Bedtime Bliss: An herbal infusion that sings you to sleep, like a lullaby in a cup.* Carefully selected botanicals are blended with natural essential oils that make every cup delicious.
Children’s Robitussin® Honey Cough & Chest Congestion DM
- Help your child feel better with effective cough relief plus real honey! Relieves chest congestion, mucus and quiets cough. Non-Drowsy.
- With Robitussin® you can fight your cough and help kick your symptoms to the curb. The liquid-strength of Robitussin® soothes on contact and provides cough relief for hours.
Theraflu Power Pods Daytime Severe Cold
- Powerful relief without a prescription
- Temporarily relieves these symptoms due to a cold:
- minor aches and pains
- nasal and sinus congestion
- cough due to minor throat and bronchial irritation
- minor sore throat pain
- Temporarily reduces fever
Please note that Theraflu & Robitussin should not be used at the same time.
We’re so lucky that the Kroger on El Dorado Blvd is less than 5 min from our house. It’s my one stop shop to pick up our sick day essentials.
Cammeo’s Sick Day Movie Picks:
- Coming to America
- Top Gun
- Caddy Shack
- Dream Girls
- Breakfast at Tiffany’s
- Sleepless in Seattle
- Napoleon Dynamite
- Best in Show
- Old School
- Before Sunrise
- The Royal Tenenbaums
- The Big Lebowski
- Garden State
- Away We Go
- New Moon
- Breaking Dawn Part 1 & 2
- Game of Thrones
- The Tudors
Garrett & Cha Cha’s Sick Day Activities:
- I have a basket on our fireplace that I keep stocked full of books and I rotate out new books from the library every few weeks.
- We also just did “31 Days of Reading” where the kids got to open up a new book from Santa everyday through December – it was a hit and we’re def doing it again next year.
- Just keep that basket full and when in doubt tell them to go pick out a few books – Garrett will even sit down and try to read books to his sissy which is about the sweetest thing ever.
Old School Flashcards
- We’ve been so lucky to know retired teachers who’ve gifted us with educational flashcards from their classrooms. My favorite are the Hot Dots Jr. Alphabet and Counting Flashcards since they’re interactive for hours of fun.
- I also like to stock up on various flashcards in the Target dollar section – genius I tell you, genius.
- I know it sounds silly, but don’t toss those old Chick-Fil-A flashcard sets – you never know when you’ll need them.
- Ok so screentime is a given on sick days – even the strictest mom caves 😉 But it doesn’t have to be senseless YouTube videos of kids unboxing toys or super sped-up Lego making.
- About a year ago we switched from the iPad to Amazon Fire and I just love all the interactive games and apps that come with the Freetime subscription. Definitely worth the investment and it even entertains lil Cha Cha from time to time.
- For the little ones I love Melissa & Doug, especially the ones with sound.
Board Games Galore
- I was so excited when Garrett turned 3 and we could start playing board games together – his first was this Memory Mix Up Game which is super easy and he still loves to play it. Cha Cha just likes to eat the pieces haha.
- Since then, every birthday we stock up on games like Pop the Pig, Zingo, Shark Bite, Yeti in My Spaghetti, Tic Tac Tongue, and Guess Who? (the classic one cuz that’s the one I played and it’s the only way to go)
- I will say, our new favorite game though is a math game that has been awesome at getting Garrett learning basic addition and subtraction – The Learning Journey – Grab it! Mathematics Lab
So say it with me – “I will survive cold and flu season!”
*These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA. This product is not intended to diagnose, cure or prevent disease.
Theraflu-(c) 2019 the GSK group of companies or its licensor. Theraflu is for use in adults 12 years and older. Use all products only as directed. Read label and follow directions. Abreva, Emergen-C, Robitussin – Use only as directed. Read label and follow directions.