Let’s just set the record straight. I’m a sucker for anything old. Vintage cameos, antique decor, old towns – you name it, I covet it. It started with weekends spent strolling the quaint streets of Old Town Spring with my parents growing up, where the shops and restaurants make you feel like you’re living in an old west town rather than in the middle of the booming city of Houston. We’d spend hours at our favorite lunch spot, the British Trading Post & Tea Room, where my father bonded with a fellow Brit, Maureen, who ran the place with her daughters and quickly became like family. After moving away, I would plea for Grant to take me back any time we visited home, just to get a glimpse of my childhood memories.
Now as we work to set down roots in Houston, I found myself yearning to explore the city once again for a little character and nostalgia. After hearing my sister-in-law, who’s lived and worked in Tomball for nearly 20 years, talk so much about all the antique stores and charming tea room – I finally talked the hubs into spending the day exploring Old Town Tomball. We started on Main Street where the sidewalks are lined with boutiques, restaurants, and the coolest custom boot shop where you can literally watch boots being made by the original shop owner’s grandson.
We also stumbled upon Kid’s Anthem, the cutest children’s clothing and toy store, while waiting out Garrett’s first day of preschool (aka, longest day of my life). The shop owner Sharon is a doll and chatted with us for quite a while, which was a welcome and pleasant distraction. Now if you’re looking for true, authentic antiques – you’ll have to wander one block over to Market Street, a little enclave of vintage goodness. My favorite shop was The Whispering Willow & Co., with its variety of antique home decor that had me daydreaming about shopping alongside my unknowing BFF Joanna Gaines. Not to mention, the lovely ladies working there reminded me how much I’d been missing that sweet southern hospitality. Speaking of, if you do find yourself in the area – don’t forget to stop by O’Suzannas and tell Linda (my best friend’s mom) “Hi” for me!
Since I had become so smitten with its charm, I knew it would be the perfect backdrop to share my favorite new bomber that you can score now on sale! Crazy story about this dress though – can you believe I paid a whopping $0 for it?? Gotta love the buy-one, get-one free clearance section at Forever 21. I just love how lightweight it is considering the warmer fall climates we all seem to be experiencing, and the sheer paneling at the bottom just adds a cool touch of design. Now if only I could save all my pennies to buy that vintage Dumas coat I found…
Shop the Look:
Links à la Mode, October 13th
- Al-Balsam Life: Balsam Style Pics: The Ultimate Guide on What to Wear this Season
- Attire Club: Fashion and Technology: Making it in the Mainstream?
- Cammeo Head to Toe: Adventures in Shopping: Old Town Tomball
- Distinguished Diva: Favourite Fall Lipsticks with Mac Cosmetics, Kiko Milano and Seventeen
- Everyday Starlet: The Best Lip Plumpers for Fuller Lips
- Fancier’s World: Transitional Layering for Fall with Colorblock Asymmetrical Dress
- Finite1: A Fall Fashion Look on a Budget
- Five Foot Nothing Shopping: 6 Rainy Fall Day Outfit Tips
- Joyfully Styled: How to Wear a Sweater Dress with Boots
- Layer of Chic: The Ultimate Velvet Boots Shopping Guide at Every Price Point
- Life in the Fash Lane: Minimal Fall Wardrobe Ideas
- Love. Laugh. Explore.: What We Can Learn from Kim Kardashian’s Robbery
- Modavracha: African Luxury Fashion: Handmade Accessories
- Mon-Chic Style: How to Style a Summer Romper for Fall
- Pudding Monster: Enjoy Your Flight
- Sweet Tea Salvage: TokyoMilk/Dark Eau de Parfum Review
- The Curious Portafoglio: Faces at Afropunk
- The Fashion Panache: Semi Formal Look – Alexa Chung Victorian Blouse
- The Wanderbliss: Transition
- We Are Ready Made: Rene Gurskov